FFSS Internship (Fall) Week 14

Hello! Here is this week’s update on my internship with the Florida France Soldier Stories project:

This is my last blog post for this semester, which is so sad! I have really loved this internship and I will miss it over winter break, however I am coming back in the spring semester so I will look forward to January! 

This week has been very different than anything else I have been doing all semester, but I am in the midst of finals, so the work on the packets slowed down, but I engaged with other aspects of the internship. The first thing I prioritized this past week was applying for funding towards the Florida Conference of Historians in January 2026. I am waiting to hear back about the possibility of funding, so hopefully it works out! I suppose I will update in January since that is when I would receive it. This was my first time applying for conference travel and registration funding, so it was a learning process on how it works with UCF's Student Government Association. I had to go through several financial training modules and take quizzes on appropriate funding expenses in order to apply. I also had to make sure I detailed all aspects of the financial needs for the conference registration, which was a quick process. I did not know how the funding application process worked before this internship, so this is yet another thing that I have learned as a result! 

Also this week, I created a powerpoint presentation for the History Internship Showcase on Friday November 21, where I discussed my role as an intern on the FFSS project. I presented and also got to listen to all the other amazing public history internships that students participated in this semester, which was so informative. It is amazing to see other projects that students are involved in, and it makes me appreciate all aspects of public history, that I may not have even known existed! Overall, the Showcase was a really fun end of the semester experience that I will look forward to presenting at again at the end of the spring semester! I cannot wait to be able to update on the FFSS Project progress. 

 As this semester comes to a close, I want to reflect on my time as an intern this semester and give my gratitude to everyone I got to work with. First, being able to expand and continue my research skills from HIS4150 in Fall 2024 was a great experience. I really enjoyed continuing the work that I was able to do in the classroom, and I am so glad I was able to learn about this project on the back end, seeing what it takes to transform the project in class into a full published public history project on the FFSS website. It opened my eyes to how much work it takes to create a public history project, and I have learned so much more than I could have imagined! 

It has been so rewarding to be able to co-present this research to both undergraduates and historians in the History Department at UCF, I love to communicate history and I got a lot of practice this semester because of this internship, which I am very grateful for. I am very excited to present in Gainesville in January as well! 

Overall, my time with the FFSS Project has been incredible, and I am so thankful for the opportunity to be apart of this team and the efforts to continue this project at UCF. This semester has helped me understand what public history is when put into practice, and it has led to me wanting to pursue a career in public history. I will be applying to UCF to continue my education and to hopefully achieve a Masters in Public History, so I am looking forward to this process over the winter break. 

I look forward to continuing my blog posts when I start back as an intern again in the spring semester.

Until then, I will probably still be working on packets! (a little joke) 

Thank you for reading along to my Fall 2025 internship journey!

See you in the spring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FFSS Internship (Fall) Week 13

FFSS Internship (Spring) Week 1

Bicentennial Exhibit Development Internship Week 1